Cornelius, home of the annual "Blueberry Festival" and nicknamed "Oregon's Family Town", is located about 25 miles east of Portland in the heart of the Tualatin Valley and Washington County. The town site of 107 acres was originally called Free Orchards due to the large number of fruit trees on the land. The name was changed on May 5, 1893 to Cornelius in honor of Colonel T. R. Cornelius, a wealthy farmer and businessman, who provided many services that helped the town develop faster than other towns in the area.
Once only a farming community, there was a time Cornelius was considered for the county seat due to the presence of the railroad. The tracks for the Oregon and California Railroad cut right through the heart of town and ushered in a new era of prosperity. The current population of Cornelius is approx. 7,700 and the primary industry is still agriculture, but the little town is fast becoming a bedroom community for Portland-area businesses.
- Quality of Life
- Our Colorful History
- City Government:
- Activities and Civic Groups
- Clubs and Organizations
- Cornelius United Methodist Church
- Local Recreation and Activities
- Chamber of Commerce
For information about bus schedules in the area, visit the Tri-Met Web site or obtain the schedule for bus route 57, which starts in downtown Forest Grove. Or call Tri-Met at 238-RIDE (238-7433).
We would appreciate your on Cornelius's Web site.
Return to Navigator
Page content maintained by .
Send comments or questions to the .